Monday 9 May 2011

Nodame Cantabile and Distractions

So I have FINALLY finished Nodame Cantabile. You'll remember how unsure I was about this drama, and I was seriously close to skipping it all together because it just didn't appeal to me in the slightest.

I'm so glad I didn't, though. I actually really enjoyed it. Sure it was over-acted and predictable, but Japanese Dramas always are, and if nothing else, you get cheap laughs from the cheesiness of it. It made me appreciate classical music and orchestras in a whole new light, as I have always viewed both as stuffy and boring. But seeing something played by an orchestra of young people who twirl their cellos and raise their violins up in the air rather than playing as stoically as you normally would see was something that I found really refreshing. If all orchestras played like that, I would so go see them.

Although it was amusing before they started doing that, and they all started winking frantically at the conductor. Your first thought is that they are simultaneously having seizures.

The only other time I have seen classical instruments played as cool as that is Henry from Super Junior M. Did you ever see him play the violin in 'Don't Don' or 'U'? When he does that dancing thing while he is playing? HOT. Obviously, I had to go watch those videos (and others) and my God, those boys like their pelvic thrusts. I don't know how I never noticed it before, but if ever you need a definition of UNF, that is it.

Sorry, I got distracted.  

Nodame Cantabile.
From Google but credit to whoever made/owns this.

Obviously the whole drama circled around the 'will-they-won't-they' situation between Nodame and Chiaki, and when they finally did kiss, in the last 10 minutes of the second feature film length special, it was a somewhat disappointing 'barbie' kiss. Why can't they always kiss like Hiro Mizushima as Namba-senpai in Hana Kimi?

Incidentally, I'm now on chapter 40 of the Hana Kimi manga. Its quite good so far, but I don't really see how they can draw out the story for another 100 chapters. I'm seeing all the characters independently from their drama counter parts, other than Namba-senpai, who's character Mizushima got down to a tee. No, that's not just me fangirling, they even look the same, and I think that this is the first time that I have ever experienced a character so alike in manga, anime and drama. Most different? Mei in Mei-chan no Shitsuji. Not even close.

It happened again. Anyway, back to Nodame.

You know how I said that I didn't know any of the cast? Well, Mine apparently was in Kimi wa Petto as Momo's friend, Junpei, which I'm not sure I believe as the two characters look sooo different. Chiaki's ex-girlfriend was also in Kimi wa Petto, but I have no idea who her character was. Franck from the special was in one episode of Gokusen. So there you go, even dramas that I don't think have connections end up having them somehow, even if it is normally with Gokusen.

Next up is Koizora. It's quite a short one, only 6 episodes, but I quite like the idea of it, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm really liking Asian guys with bleached hair at the moment (OK, well from literally today), so that helps! I'll let you know, as usual, when I've finished it.

<3 x

EDIT: (8pm)
I've only watched 5 minutes, and Koizora has already had me in tears once AND the guy with the bleached hair is one of the always-half-naked-and-in-the-sauna guys from Atashinchi no Danshi. Looking good so far!

EDIT 2: (2.40 am) I just had to watch a hell of a lot of Super Junior doing their favourite dance move to stop the tears rolling down my cheeks. This show is soooo sad! Half way through now, so you'll probably get the full low down tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment