Monday 14 November 2011

Ikemen Desu Ne

Right, I know what you're thinking.

'How could Heather possibly be doing her review post of this new show she only started last week when it is NaNoWriMo? Surely she is far too busy WRITING 50 000 WORDS IN A MONTH to be spending all her time watching J dramas?'

ahem... so anyway ....

This show didn't make me nearly so ranty as I was afraid it would, and I managed to contain all afore mentioned rantyness to the edits of one post. That it not to say I wasn't practically screaming in annoyance to Mio's lack of recognition of Shu throughout the whole thing. I also nearly cried when she turned down lovable Yuki, even though it was super funny how he was all conflicted thinking he was in love with a boy, while Shu and Ren knew she was a girl pretty much straight away. But for the most part, it was really good fun and I even found myself cheering for Mio and Ren by the end.

I just love the comedy of these dramas. Obviously there were loads of things that could go wrong with a former nun taking her brothers place in a top idol pop group while he recovered in hospital, although literally everyone falling in love with her just because she is the only girl in the vicinity, no matter whether they realised it or not, is a little annoyingly unrealistic.

The manager of the group always came out with odd phrases in English, normally just bits like 'hurry up' or 'wonderful', but in the first episode, a minor problem had cropped up. Everyone else was like 'oh bother' while he stood up and screamed out 'HOLY SHIT', which amused me greatly. Obviously there was the whole falling on to the guy's lips, which was conversely followed up with vomiting into his mouth, which was new. Lots of dramatic hugging and barbie kisses too, which always amuses me.

Haven't had a picture for a while ...

From Google. Look how jealous they all are! Ren sitting on the left, Shu standing up at the back, Yuki standing up on the right, and Mio looking idiotic in the middle. The guy with his arm around her was in the Korean version, I think, playing Ren's character.

The only thing that really bothered me, other than the whole Shu thing, which I'm not going to go into it, I'm not going to say how lovely he was and how he took her on a telephone date and brought her loads but she didnt even know he was there, or how when he was telling her about the girl she liked, she was so heartbreakingly clueless that he was talking about her, and how he cried when she turned him down... where was I? Oh yeah, the thing that bothered me was the lack of relationship between Miko 'Mio' and the real Mio, her brother. Mio was supposed to get into showbiz for his sister, so they could meet their mother, who ended up long dead, and while we saw the conflict this gave Miko 'Mio', as far as we are aware, real Mio never saw his sister to hear the story. Obviously, they were the same actor so that was probably why, although it was impressive how much more manly they made real Mio, but it just didn't make sense to me that they were 'so close' and yet never bothered to see each other. Also, for a show with Ikemen in the title, basically meaning handsome guys, I didn't really notice that many hot men. Sure, Shu and Yuki were cute after you got over the fact that they were a little too pretty, and Ren looked much better when his hair was natural, but there was a distinct lack of hot manly guys. Throw in a Yamapi and it would have been much more agreeable.*

Connections. Ren was in the Gokusen movie, so there's the Gokusen link even though I haven't seen it yet. Jealous Nana who constantly threatened to reveal Mio's identity was also in Mei-chan no Shitsugi and Gokusen 3. Ren's Mum was in the original Hana Kimi special, although I have no idea as who. Wow, not very many connections here, although I didn't really recognise anyone, so that makes sense.

Now I'm back on my list after that little backtrack and next up is Yankee-kun to Megane-chan, something along the line of bad girl goes good and good guy goes bad, so that should be fun.

<3x

Drama: Yankee-kun to Megane-chan 1
Manga: Hana Kimi 57 / Love so Life 7
NaNoWriMo backlog: 10 128 words (damn it, and I was catching up!)



*I was wikipedia-ing Yamapi (Yamashita Tomohisa of Nobuta wo Produce, Kurosagi, and Buzzer Beat who happens to be rather hot) when I found some photos not leaving much to the imagination. I think I nearly got a nose bleed.

P.S. In other news, I downloaded Super Junior's Super Show 3 album last night, and on the track names, the solo's were in hangul, which obviously I cannot read.. I correctly identified everyone by just the sound of their voice ^^. I'm so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment