Sunday 30 October 2011

Gokusen II & Ouran High School Host Club

Woah. I haven't done a review post since July. That means its taken me just over three months to watch Gokusen II. The series I watched before Gokusen II, Buzzer Beat, took me a week to complete.

Its not that I didn't enjoy it, it just didn't keep me hooked. To be honest, it was all a bit same-y. Not just within the series, but to the previous series too. Class gets in to trouble, Yankumi saves them and in the process teaches them to be better human beings. They all graduate together even though every single one of them has been expelled and reinstated numerous times.

I still really enjoy the subtleties of the series though. Its so hard to explain unless you see it for yourself, but some things make you laugh out loud even though they are only hinted at or sometimes even totally ignored, and it is this that makes the repetitiveness worth it. Such as the Yakuza henchmen suddenly flaring up in anger at something that has been said against Yankumi, acting all tough and scary, and then retreating passively just as suddenly after a single look. Like I said, you need to see it really to understand. Its just constantly amusing. Another point about Gokusen is that in comparison to the other series I have watched, its just so old. It was aired in 2005 or something like that, so everything just looks a little dated now, especially the 'rebel' look of class 3D.

Obviously, some of the cast were in the first series, so there's your Gokusen link. One of the main guys, Ryu was in Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge and Nobuta wo Produce. His friend, Tsuchiya, was Night the human robot who broke my heart in Zettai Kareshi. Apparently Shiratori-sensei was in Kimi wa Petto, but I can't place her, neither can I remember Baba-sensei in Tokyo Dogs, although it explains why he looked so familiar.

I also had been watching Ouran High School Host Club and Hana Kimi Remake on a weekly basis, and both have now finished, although the last two episodes of Hana Kimi are still being subbed, so I'll review that when I have actually seen all of it. Although, just as a taster, my impressions of it improved greatly after the first episode. But as for Ouran, loved it. So similar to the anime, and just as over the top, but it didn't ruin it. I just really enjoyed it. Similar to so many of the other J-drama's, it was easy to watch and enjoyable, but didn't stick with me enough to make me watch it again, probably.

It's about a poor scholarship student, Haruhi, who accidentally knocks over a vase and is forced to pay off her debt by working in the school's host club, even though she is a girl. The plot mostly focus' on her relationship with the rest of the club, especially Tamaki, the club's Prince that is clearly in love with her but refuses to admit it, instead pretending to be a father figure.

Yeah, I agree, that's a bit weird. Especially when he also refers to his best friend as 'Mother' and the rest of the Club as Haruhi's brothers. He did have family issues though. Everyone in J-drama's have family issues.

Haruhi was apparently in Tokyo Dogs. Tamaki was in Hana Kimi and Atashinchi no Danshi. 'Mother' Kyoya was apparently also in Hana Kimi and Nobuta. Mori was apparently in Zettai Kareshi, and Hikaru and Karou were in Mei-chan. I can't be bothered to look anyone else up right now.


Next is Ikemen Desu Ne. I'm skipping back the list a bit, because this one came in and jumped the charts even though its only just finished airing. Its a remake of a Korean drama, and I know Ikemen basically means hot men in Japanese, so I'm very hopeful that I'll enjoy this.

I have just realised the time. Its taken me an hour and a half to write this, and its not even like I don't have to get up. I just missed blogging, and having finished Gokusen yesterday, this seemed like a good excuse. I know no one gives a crap, but I like documenting what I've been watching, so suck it.

<3 x

Drama: Ikemen Desu Ne ep 1
Manga: Hana Kimi ch 57 / Love so Life ch 7

No comments:

Post a Comment