Monday 23 July 2012

Goong

Wow, this was a long series. I've gotten used to 16 episode series, but Goong was 24 episodes, each an hour long. That means I've spent a whole day watching Goong over the past 4 weeks.  A whole day!

Chaegyung is just a normal girl, who is suddenly confronted with the obligation to enter into a political marriage with the Crown Prince of Korea, Shin, through a deal made between their grandfathers many years ago. Chaegyung agrees to solve her families financial problems, and Shin got rejected by the girl he really loved, so figured why the hell not. Right after the marriage, Yul turns up, the former crown prince who was exiled after his father died. Chaegyung falls for Shin even though he is a bit of a douche to her, and both princes fall for Chaegyung, but Yul realises long before Shin, who is still pining over Whatshername. The majority of the plot is about the relationship between these three characters, which is complicated by Whatshername deciding she does like Shin after all, and Yul's Mum wanting to take over the world.

You're bored because your husband is working so you stamp your head with solid gold? Yeah, I'd do that.

I stick by my first impressions of this series being ridiculously similar to Hana Yori Dango / Boys Before Flowers. Shin was just as emotionally stunted as Tsukasa and exuded just as much douchebaggery. Yul was sweet and pitiful in his unrequited love, much the same as Rui, although I did feel more for Rui. Yul spent too much time crying and feeling sorry for himself, especially at the end. I either wanted him to do something about it or just be happy because she was happy. There was an older sister in both series that seemed to sort everything out, as well as a group of 3 guys loyal to the prince who also happen to be rich and attractive, although they didn't have a title in Goong like F4 did in HYD.

So basically, my point is the plot and the characters of this series were nothing new ... in fact I've seen it many times before. None the less, it was a good show, and it didn't feel as long as it did. It did get bogged down somewhat towards the end in self pity for every character involved, whereas the first two thirds of it were very amusing. Normal girl getting thrust in to traditional Korean life, where they all sit reciting poems at each other while wearing hanboks with stupid stuff on their heads*? Priceless.

I also enjoyed the teddy bear thing. Shin had a beloved Teddy, and in the scenes in his room, the teddy would always be somewhere in the background. Personal favourites were Teddy lounging on a shelf and Teddy reading a book. Trying to imagine the Prince putting his bear in these positions amused me greatly. The Teddy bear reenactments did make much more sense than in Playful Kiss.

So, to sum up, loved it but wished the 'drama' part hadn't been so melodramatic.

Next up is my first Taiwanese drama, with Devil Beside You. I have kind of gotten accustomed to the Korean language now, so I'll be intrigued to experience a new language. I think it will be Chinese ... based solely on Skip Beat being (I think) Taiwanese and in (I think) Chinese ... which I only know because Super Junior are in it.

<3 x

*Imagine all your hair scraped back, a tennis ball stuck on your head, and then a giant plait around the whole thing with broaches stuck into it. Yup. Or just google 'GOONG QUEEN' and you'll get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment