Monday 20 February 2012

Playful Kiss (contains mild rantage)

Normally, I try to avoid spoiling too much in these drama posts, but I am afraid that I doubt I will be able to avoid it for Playful Kiss. So consider yourself warned.

Firstly, I just want to get this out there. What a load of tosh. How is this in the top 10 most popular Asian drama? Its like the High School Musical of Asian media; a load of people apparently like it for no fully comprehensible reason. Having said that, it was amusing, and incredibly easy to watch, albeit it completely unrealistic, so these factors may have had some bearing.

Oh Ha Ni has had a crush on Baek Seung Jo for years, but he doesn't even know she exists. One day, she plucks up the courage to confess by letter, but he grades it rather than appreciates it. Soon after, Han Ni's house collapses, and she and her father move in with an estranged family friend and his family, who happens to be Baek Seung Jo's. Relentlessly, with the aid of Seung Jo's interfering mother, she pursues him, trampling all over Bong Joon Gu's heart in the process, and generally acts like a spoiled child.

I screen-capped this because it amused me so much. The guy was like 'I stole your shoe, let me flash you,' and Ha Ni was like 'Oh no my shoe. Yeah, OK then'. Idiot girl, lucky Seung Jo happened to be passing and came to the rescue (stalker). Seung Jo was Ji Hoo (Rui) in Boys Before Flowers. I liked him better in this.

I liked this drama, I really did. However, there are some things that I really can't forgive.

In what way is stalking an effective way to get someone to love you? Because that is what Ha Ni spends literally all of her time doing. Sure, I get that Seung Jo was only denying his feelings as he didn't want to do what was expected of him, but still.

Why do all the heroines of Asian drama go for the douches over the super nice guys that are super hot as well as super devoted to them? It's like Rui all over again. Joon Gu was lovely, so lovely, he didnt look like he'd snap in half as soon as you touched him, AND he cooked lovely food, but no, she goes for the boy that at first ignores her, and then spends the rest of the series bulling her. Stupid. Sure, Joon Gu got his happy ending (with an English tourist ^^), as does everyone in Korean dramas, and even if secretly you can't help but cheer for the douche, the Asian drama 'Nice Guy' still hurts my heart the most.

In the middle of the series, another guy shows up asking Ha Ni to go out with him. This is interesting, I thought, especially when Ha Ni was trying to make Seung Jo jealous and New Man was being super forward. One time, he tried to kiss her, and Joon Gu appeared out of nowhere (stalker) and started to fight him. Then, Seung Jo appeared and told them both that Ha Ni only liked him. We never saw nor heard of New Man again. I can only assume Joon Gu killed him in the library. Seriously though, why would you introduce a new character that has such potential and then just leave his storyline hanging? I literally spent the rest of the series waiting for him to come and stir up more trouble, but alas ... dead now.

Imagine this. Oh Ha Ni tells Seung Jo that she is going to give Joon Gu a go because she is sick of being in a one sided love.
GOOD.
Then, he tells her she is only allowed to like him, and kisses her ... in the rain.
Poor Joon Gu but GOOD.
They go home, and he tells his parents he wants to marry her.
Right ... eventually ... when they finish college, so still years away...OK, good to have a plan I guess?
THEN interfering Mother books the ceremony for a few days later.
WHAT? AND THEY GO ALONG WITH IT? THEY DIDN'T EVEN DATE. THEY ONLY KISSED TWICE (well, three times, but once Ha Ni was asleep) AND THEY GET MARRIED JUST LIKE THAT?

Then, when they go on a honeymoon. Ha Ni only starts to worry about sex on the LAST DAY ...  WHAT WERE THEY DOING FOR THE REST OF THE TIME? Sure, some other couple show up and are bothersome, but really? At this point I started to wonder if Ha Ni was really Seung Jo's type, if you catch my drift.

Sorry, that got a little ranty there. I warned you about the spoilers though. Basically, it was amusing, but that was about it. A little too teenage fantasy for me, so much so that by the end of it, I was convinced the whole thing was in Ha Ni's imagination. But no, it really was that pink and fluffy.

I absolutely adored the character of the mother, some of the music I can only describe as Glee-esque, and the teddy bear re-enactments at the end of each episode were really cute, so it did have some degree of originality, just no reality. Don't get me wrong, I can see why it is popular, it just lacked substance. I really don't understand how it is that popular when there are so many other, far more worthy dramas out there. I guess the ranking system on dramacrazy.net is a little fickle, as it goes on popularity rather than ratings.

Next up, after I've sussed out if the 7 Playful Kiss Specials are worth watching, is Mary Stayed Up All Night. I've heard of this a lot, and I think it's a manga adaptation. I know it's got Jang Geun Suk in it, who is a rather famous Korean actor, and the main guy in You're Beautiful. To be honest, I'm more looking forward to the drama after this one, City Hunter. Lee Min Ho <3

<3 x

No comments:

Post a Comment