Sunday 26 August 2012

Devil Beside You

I finally finished it! I said that I wanted to watch the last episode of this series before I go, and seeing as I go tomorrow, this evening was really my last chance.

Qi Yue is trying to confess her feelings to her crush, Yuan Yi, but instead, her love letter is accidentally recieved by the school devil, Ahmon. Even as her relationship with Yuan Yi starts to blossom, Ahmon is persistent chasing after Qi Yue, which is further exasperated when their parents start dating. Obviously, its an Asian drama and they like to teach that if you hassle a girl she will love you, and so Qi Yue falls for Ahmon and the rest of the series is pretty much about the two of them trying to keep their relationship a secret.

I made this bright red glove so no one can tell when we are holding hands - Ahmon, not the smartest tool in the shed

Firstly, I need to comment on how terrible the sound was in this drama. It wasn't just quiet or grainy, hinting at a bad copy, but the whole sound mix was completely off, literally changing every time the camera angle changed, and not even subtly. Its a shame, because it made the whole thing seem a lot less professional than it would have done otherwise.

Despite this, it was a good series. Devil Beside You had a really strong start; it was original and exciting, and the plot moved quickly ... for the first few episodes that is. When so much happens within the first couple of episodes, there isn't really much to keep the pace going. Ahmon was all over her at the start, and then I think they didn't do much more than brood around for the rest of the series,although they did finally show a bit more improvement for the last episode. Having said that, despite the slow middle, it was still funny and enticing, and I especially liked the problems that Ahrang the little brother caused, even if he have a complete personality change half way through. Also, Ahmon was really hot, so that helped the enjoyment factor.

I got a bit fed up of Qi Yue's OTT expressions, although I loved the parents, who were over the top pretty much all the time. I also liked the side story of Yuan Yi and Qi Yue's best friend, even if I do find it odd that she chased after him literally right after Qi Yue dumped him and he went a little psycho on her... but you know, each to their own. I wish I knew what happened to Qi Yue's other friend, though, as she seemed to just vanish.

The opening titles sum up the series really well, and I quite like the song.

So, in general, it was a really good, funny and not too sickly sweet drama, I just wish that the spontaneity of the first few episodes had stuck through the rest of the series. Also, I didn't cry.

Next up is Love Rain. This is a pretty new Korean drama, with Jang Geun Suk, the guy in all the Korean dramas, and YoonA, who is a member of the Kpop band SNSD or Girl's Generation. I've been hearing a lot about this drama over the past couple of months, and even seen a fair few cuts on YouTube (namely the fountain kiss scene ... it was hard to avoid.) Don't know when I'll get a chance to watch it though.

Hmm, these posts always take so much longer than you expect. Who needs sleep, right?

lessthanthree kiss

No comments:

Post a Comment