Friday 2 March 2012

Mary Stayed Out All Night.

Hmm I seem to be getting through dramas quite quick these days. They are just so easy to watch that the time seems to fly by, and yet you are always left wanting more. Today, I decided to stop on the dresses just because I knew that the last episode of Mary Stayed Out All Night was waiting for me. In the end, I had a bath instead, but still, my point is I literally spend all my free time and even some not so free time watching Asian drama.

I sound like an obsessed fanatic.

Yup.

Anyway, yes, this was a good series. Kinda predictable, but it was fun and interesting. I found it more interesting because the main character has a small obsession with dramas, and also because the whole story develops alongside pre production of a fictional drama. While I realised its very unlikely to be realistic, if everything else that happens is anything to go by, I still cant help but be intrigued by the whole behind the scenes thing they had going on

Mary has been downtrodden throughout her life by her debt-dodging father and Mu Kyul is a struggling indie musician. When Mary accidentally hits Mu Kyul whilst driving, she ends up taking care of him to ease her guilty conscience. Suddenly, Mary's dad tells her she is to be forced into an arranged marriage with Jung In, a similarly downtrodden son of an overly ambitious father who is determined to have Mary as his daughter in law. Mary and Mu Kyul pretend to be married to avoid the real marriage, even though they barely even like each other ... and you know what happens next. No matter who the woman is, if there are men around, they will fall in love with her. At least in Asian drama, anyway. Having said that, this is the first Korean drama that I have seen that doesn't literally pair everyone off.

Mu Kyul and Mary in a bin. Yeah, that's the sort of show this was. the two leads in a bin represents the drama much more accurately than the poster. Mary in a mini skirt and heels? Unlikely. It was layers layers layers with a layer over the top.

Mary's character was really cute, and I think she was well cast for the role, as the actress is probably the cutest Asian actress I have ever seen. Tiny and with her round little face and wide eyes, she was the literal representation of innocence. That doesn't mean I forgive her though. Poor Jung In. He was super nice, rich, hot and he loved you (eventually), and yet you choose the penniless stubborn playboy who mostly just made you cry. Sure, he's pretty, but he is mostly grumpy and selfish. Oh wait, I'm talking to fictional characters again. I think I just had a major soft spot for the guys that get left behind.

I'm going to leave it there, as I should really be getting to sleep. Basically, it was funny and I liked it. Next is City Hunter. I've wanted to watch this for about a year, so I'm really looking forward to it. Lee Min Ho!

<3 x

No comments:

Post a Comment