Saturday 7 January 2012

You're Beautiful

The title of this post makes it sound like this is going to be a really lovely entry, full of positivity and how to feel good bout yourself.

No.

Its about the Korean drama.

Firstly, it was weird watching a drama in another language. It was like I was back at the beginning again, with the only words I could understand being very basic. I'm not saying I became fluent in Japanese through watching dramas, far from it, but I certainly picked up a lot, and I missed the feeling of being able to pick up certain words. There were a lot of -mida's rather than -masu's, and I found I couldn't let my attention wonder without loosing track completely of what was going on. Another difference was the length of the episodes and series. Japanese dramas tend to be about 45 mins long, and with about 11 episodes. You're Beautiful was 70 mins long with 16 episodes. Things that happened in the second episode of Ikemen Desu Ne didn't happen until the 4th episode of You're Beautiful. Not that the series felt like it was dragging, far from it, although I cant say that there was anything more really added for that time.

Obviously, the names were different. Mio became Mi Nam, Ren was Tae Kyung, Shu was Shin Woo, and Yuki became Jeremy. The characters were all very much the same, and I was surprised how similar Ren and Tae Kyung were in literally every aspect. Yes, the Shin Woo predicament still broke my heart and made me soooo angry, as did the general doucheness of Tae Kyung, but it was still really fun and I enjoyed it a lot.
From Google. Shin Woo, Mi Nam, Tae Kyung and Jeremy. They're prettier than their Japanese counterparts.

Which do I prefer? Hard to say, but I think I'm going to have to go with Ikemen. I realise this is probably because it was the one I saw first, and due to this, I pretty much knew everything was going to happen, but certain things that didn't make sense in the Korean version were altered for the Japanese. There was more back story of Mio and Mika's childhood, and I was so much more affected by Yuki's love of Mio than Jeremy's of Mi Nam. Basically, it all boils down to the fact that I cried at Ikemen, but not at You're Beautiful. However, the latter did mention Super Junior on more than one occasion, and even did a parody of Sorry Sorry, so they do get bonus points for that.

I cant really do connections, and I'm not sure I want to when the chances of a Gokusen link are so low. But Shin Woo is the leader of CNBlue, and Jeremy is the leader of FT Island, two Kpop bands I am well aware of even though I don't have much experience of them.

Next up is the Korean version of Hana Yori Dango, Boys Before Flowers. You may get a rant post, but otherwise, don't expect to hear from me about this series for a while, as it is like 25 episodes long ...

<3 x

No comments:

Post a Comment