Friday 15 March 2013

To The Beautiful You

Ok, so its been a while since my last review post. A month and a half to be more precise. I think the days of powering through a drama within days has long gone.

So, To the Beautiful You, the third version of Hana Kimi I have seen to date. There is a Taiwanese version too, but I haven't come across that one yet on DramaCrazy's most popular list. It seems really pointless to explain the story, but as a brief reminder, girl likes boy, boy goes too all boys school, girl dresses as boy, boys fall in love with girl. Throw in some sports stuff, and yeah, that pretty much covers it.

 SHOCK!!!  

I will happily admit to having to refer to the character for at least the first 6 episodes by their Japanese counterparts names, just so that I could understand who they were, but eventually, I could forget Hana Kimi and concentrate on this as a whole new series. Sano became Tae Joon, Misuki was Jae Hee, and Nakatsu was Eun Geol. Obviously there were heaps more people, but they played a very small part in this version as opposed to the Japanese, especially the other dorms.  I'm not sure how I feel about this, as the difference in the three dorms was such a major part of the previous versions, but you only missed it when you compared them. So, I guess the story didn't need them. Some characters were omitted completely, like the spiritual guy, and some had complete character changes, like the dorm head being a complete womaniser in the Japanese versions to hopelessly in love with one girl who isn't even in the other versions. I guess they had to make it their own.

WHO CAN BRUSH THEIR TEETH THE BEST TO IMPRESS THE GIRL?

I adored Minho, as you may have guessed from previous posts. I knew he was a good actor anyway, but he was really on a par with the professional actors in the series even though he is primarily a singer. The girl from f(x) was okay too, but she did seem just a little too girly to ever be taken seriously as a guy. Other than the odd cameo by EXO and soundtrack by Onew from SHINee, I was somewhat disappointed by the lack of SM artists. Especially Super Junior.

I can't really say much more about it. I knew what was going to happen so there were no surprises. I enjoyed it, and it was different from the other versions. I think I prefer the 2007 Hana Kimi though, but that is probably because it was the first one I saw, and the version all other versions will be measured against.

Next up is Rooftop Prince. This is a drama I have heard the name of a lot, but don't know much about. It sounds a bit like Faith, but man from past comes to the future rather than woman from future goes to the past. I'll let you know how it goes in about 2 months time.

No comments:

Post a Comment