Thursday 26 April 2012

My Girlfriend is a Gumiho

I'll admit, I started watching this drama not exactly expecting much. I hadn't really heard of it before, and just through the plot summary explaining how a gumiho was a mythical beast, I thought it would probably be just alright, if a little childish. In no way did I expect it to be so awesome.

I laughed, I cried, I appreciated certain pretty cast members. Everything you could ask for in a drama, really.

Dae Woong, a university student with a dream of becoming an action movie star accidentally sets free a nine-tailed fox demon from her portrait prison after he gets stuck in a storm by the temple. Terrified, he runs away and severely injures himself, and Mi Ho gives him her healing fox bead. As he heals, Mi Ho follows him everywhere, and after realising that she is a supernatural being rather than just a crazy person, Dae Woong does whatever Mi Ho wants in fear. Even though Mi Ho loved Dae Woong from the moment she was set free, it is only when he can look past his preconceptions that he starts to feel something for her in return.

From Google. Mi Ho with her tails out in the moonlight. Dae Woong was probably in the process of shitting himself.
Initially, Dong Ju, a half demon/human demon hunter intends to send Mi Ho back to her portrait, but after learning she wants to become human to be with Dae Woong, he tricks her into drinking his blood which will slowly kill her, while her bead absorbs Dae Woong's human chi. What he doesn't tell her is that Dae Woong will die as soon as he gives the bead back. Either way, one of them has to die for the other to live.

It all sounds a bit tragic from the above, and it is really, especially at the end. I cried buckets in the last episode. However, this series was also very funny and light-hearted. I laughed pretty much throughout, especially when Mi Ho was learning about the modern world (or how Dae Woong misled her, like straighteners being chopsticks that grill meat as you eat it) and the sub plot between the movie director and Dae Woong's aunt. Although I don't think it was supposed to be funny, it did amuse me how at least 80% of Dong Ju's role was stating the obvious. There were so many random little shots of him in his dingy study being Captain Obvious.

All in all, I loved this drama. It was nice to have something a little different for a change, even if it did still follow all the Asian drama guidelines. It was very easy to watch, not too predictable, and I couldn't help but look forward to the next episode. The soundtrack was awesome, and I constantly found myself singing it, as well as trying to mimic the catchphrases as well as someone who can't speak Korean can. Mi Ho was pretty and seemed to get prettier, Dae Woong was cute and seemed to get cuter, and Dong Ju was just way too hot the whole way through.

Next up is Dream High. From what I gather, its Glee meets High School Musical meets Fame meets something else American. Not really my thing, but it has a lot of very famous Korean idols in it (*cough*superjunior*cough*), and people have been raving about it nonstop.

<3 x

No comments:

Post a Comment