Monday 25 June 2012

My Princess

What's this? A post before 1 am? I know what you're thinking, this must mean its a k drama post, right? Well, surprisingly, you are correct.

My Princess is about a girl who finds out she is a princess. Shocker, right there. Basically, the Korean government have put the reestablishment of the Korean Imperial Family to the public vote, and as such, an ordinary student, Seol, finds out that her father was the grandson of the last emperor. Having spent her early childhood on the run until her father was killed in a car accident (well it is Korea, after all), she was raised in an orphanage completely unaware of her legacy. She meets diplomat and 3rd generation cheabol (aka super rich person) Hae Young, who will be forced to give up his inheritance should the restoration go through. At first the two have a strained relationship as Hae Young is put in charge of teaching Seol princess-y things, but soon they start to fall for each other yadda yadda yadda. Originally, Hae Young was to marry Yoon Joo, who was actually rather keen on Professor Nam, Seol's crush, so obviously those two got tied off neatly at the end because k dramas can't end with out every single character getting a happy ending.

I must admit to noticing a bit of a trend lately. I get very easily hooked into these shows at the start, but half way through, when things start to get a little too peachy and happy (as in when the main characters start to realise that they like each other) I lose interest. Not that the series went down hill or anything, far from it, I guess I just find the chemistry between main characters much more enticing when they don't realise its there. One of my favourite moments of this series is when Hae Young dumps a sleepy Seol into a fountain because she is late for class. You can bearly see it, but Hae Young does this ha-ha-in-your-face dance while she is spluttering and all the staff are shitting themselves that they just let a royal get thrown in a fountain. I liked that side of the relationship ... the fun side before it gets bogged down with love and all that crap.
From Google. The Fountain Dunk. I wish I could find a screen cap or video of Hae Young being a smart arse, but I can't remember what episode it was


It was a good series, fun to watch and not too mushy. I know I laughed out loud, and I'm pretty sure I cried. Hae Young was hot and Seol was really pretty ... in fact she reminds me a lot of Ji Eun from Full House. She had some really lovely costumes and I am pretty much in love with how she did her hair (I need to get some cute accessories).She had some amazing shoes too (although I did notice they left the labels on the bottom more than once ... tut tut golden rule broken right there). I liked the palace uniforms as well, mixing smart suits with traditional hanbok was a really goo idea. However, I was not a fan of Yoon Joo. At the risk of sounding shallow, I did not like her face or her style or her character ... although I don't think I was supposed to so its all good.

Next up is Baby and I, a Jang Geun Suk movie (you may get two reviews in one day). He is the guy from You're Beautiful and Mary Stayed Out All Night. I keep having to check right from the start because I'm pretty sure Love Rain is going to sneak into the top 30 soon enough. I'm on 26 now. For reference, 25 is Zettai Kareshi (the robot story that still breaks my heart to think about) and 29 is Nodame Cantabile, which I watched at the beginning of May 2011. It does not seem that long ago.

<3 x

No comments:

Post a Comment