Monday 14 May 2012

Dream High

I was worried I wouldn't be able to get this post to you this evening. If you are a regular reader of my blog you can probably guess why.

Yup ... my laptop clearly wants to get thrown out of the window. EDIT: Okay ... it actually just screamed at me, in a little electronic voice. I'm starting to think its possessed.

Anyway, so I have just finished watching Dream High. I think. I wasn't a huge fan of the ending; it felt like something was missing, almost like I had fallen asleep and missed a scene or two, which I am fairly certain I didn't. I started watching the special, which seemed to be some sort of concert, but I got about 2 minutes in and couldn't stand the screaming any more.

Dream High is centred around the students of Kirin Arts School, a training academy for pre-debut idol stars. Hye Mi, a stubborn and emotionless girl, is forced into doing whatever it takes to attend in order to pay off her fathers debts, and even pushed away her best friend, Baek Hee, who becomes her bitter rival. Sam Dong is a country boy who knows nothing about modern music, but falls in love with Hye Mi. Jin Guk, Hye Mi's forgotten childhood friend that got him through a difficult time, in return, tries to help her. Pil Suk has an amazing voice but is overweight and completely head over heels with Jason, the most popular and talented of the school. These students are watched over by Teacher Kang, the only one who will believe in them.
Sam Dong and Jin Guk fighting over underwear. It amused me.

I said to begin with that I was afraid this wouldn't be my sort of thing; far too High School Musical and Fame for my taste. Yeah, I was right. Kind of. There was a lot of singing and dancing and general american-ness about it, but I felt the plot was much deeper, which was a very good thing. Each character had problems to overcome, from debt and childhood abandonment to serious illnesses and rape. Pil Suk, not so much, she just had to loose weight to have a chance at a career and for Jason to realise he liked her, which annoyed me a little. Although the entertainment industry is centred on appearance so at least it was honest. All these deep issues did mean the production must have got through a hell of a lot of tear stick, and although everyone on the screen cried all the time, I did not. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it was sad - mostly when Sam Dong was having a hard time, that near broke my heart - but for the most part, I found a lot of the emotion a bit soft and unnecessary.

Mixed in with all the tear stick, there were some really funny parts and I did enjoy the way the plot and the characters developed. Sam Dong was adorable, but there was always something between Hye Mi and Jin Guk so you were never really sure who to cheer for. The Pil Suk and Jason sub plot was so cute, and once again, literally everyone got their happy endings, even the teachers. It was a good series, I can see why it was so raved about and I would recommend it, I will just most likely forget all about it soon enough.

There were a lot of famous people in it. Most of the cast are prominent in music as well as drama, such as Jin Guk and Jason being from 2pm, Hye Mi from Miss A, Baek Hee from T-ara, and Pil Suk being more commonly known as IU. Leeteuk and Eunhyuk from Super Junior made a cameo, during which I fangirled majorly.

Next up is Full House. I know of the name, but that's about it. I gather it is one of the older dramas that deserves its place on the most popular charts, kind of like Nobuta Wo Produce, ranked because of more than just pretty faces and popular actors ... but then again, it does star Rain, probably the most famous Korean Idol of all.

<3 x

No comments:

Post a Comment