Sunday 5 February 2012

Secret Garden

You know, I debated about writing this post. I finished watching Secret Garden last night, and since then, have watched 3 episodes of Coffee Prince, even though I usually write my review post as soon as I have watched the last episode. I like to get my thoughts out while they were so fresh, to the extreme that for Koizora, I was unable to stop my tears throughout writing. I used to really love reviewing the Asian dramas I had just completed, sharing my opinions on them not just for myself, but for any others who should come across my blog and find my drama posts interesting. However, now it feels more like a chore. I feel like I constantly repeat myself, mostly judging everything I have seen to be 'enjoyable but nothing amazing'. Things aren't so new anymore, from the sorts of plots to the social etiquette. I've gone from culture shock and novelty to normality, and normality isn't so fun to share my thoughts on.

So hopefully, the above being said, you'll forgive me for keeping this short. Rich man, Joo Won, falls for uninterested poor woman, Ra Im. He pursues her until she caves in, and they live happily ever after. Throw in a magical and somewhat poorly explained body swap sub plot that was much less a part of the story than I had expected, and that's pretty much the gist of it.
FROM GOOGLE. The sit-up scene. I loved the guys in the background, all pretending to kiss each other when they realised what Joo Won was trying to do. Seriously though, he did wear some hideous tracksuits.

I liked it, so much so I would spend pretty much all my free time watching it, but once again, the ending was just a little too neat. Everyone got their happy ending, which I'm noticing as somewhat of a theme in Korean dramas. Japanese dramas seem to be much more comfortable with more realistic or tragic endings, and not every story has to end with a proposal or marriage. There was one part that was super sad, where you realise how strongly Joo Won really feels for Ra Im rather than being a spoilt little boy wanting what he can't have, but obviously, you know that it's all going to work out one way or another, especially when were still 4 episodes left. However, I am noticing that Korean dramas are much more comfortable with real kisses, which was something that always turned romantic moments to amusing ones in Japanese dramas, the whole barbie kiss mood killer.

I was fangirling Super Junior once (HAH yeah, just the once), and they were acting out the most notable scenes in this drama, but I didn't put the two together until I saw the real scenes. I love those boys, look how cheeky Leeteuk is with his pocky game, how Shindong is just sitting in the corner eating, and how Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun sabotage their poor leader who was obviously embarrassed and regretting the pocky idea. I don't know why they are all in PJ's, even if it is cute. EDIT - while looking for a good image to put up, I found Kyu wearing Joo Won's tracksuit. I genuinely screamed. I love finding Super Junior when I'm not looking for them <3

So I'm already on to my next one, Coffee Prince. Girl pretends to be a guy ... again. I don't know why this is such a common theme in Asian drama, but there you go. I have to admit though, I do still find the whole straight guy thinking he is gay because he fell in love with girl-pretending-to-be-guy very amusing, so its all good. I don't know whether I'll do a review, I might just include bits in my normal posts as I go rather than holding everything back for one whole post. I'm a little disappointed in the visual aspect so far though *cough*moreprettyguysplease*cough*.


<3 x

EDIT - This post didnt end up being that short ... I blame SuJu.

No comments:

Post a Comment