Sunday 22 January 2012

Personal Taste

Is it me or do I seem to be getting through new series quite quickly? Having said that, I guess I always have done. It's not like I have much of a social life. Instead, I spend most of my free time (and sleeping time) watching these things.

I feel like I should be ashamed, but I'm totally not. I guess I shouldn't complain (as I did in yesterday's post) if I'm not willing to do anything to change my situation.

For an Asian drama based on the idea that a guy pretends to be gay, I must admit that I expected this series to be more amusing. Sure it was funny in places, but it started off pretty sad, what with the main girl character being dumped, and then with all the shit that stopped the main guy and girl getting together, it was more sad and frustrating than a stereotypical romantic comedy.
From Google. JinHo and GaeIn. Jin Ho was JunPyo in Boys Before Flowers. His nose seemed bigger then.

GaeIn is a struggling furniture designer who recently discovered her boyfriend at the alter with her best friend. JinHo is an architect, who moves into a free room in GaeIn's unique house in order to use it for research for a highly sought after art gallery redesign. GaeIn and her friend mistakenly come to the conclusion that JinHo is gay, and deems it appropriate for him to live with her as she needs to rent money to clear her debts. Obviously, over time, they grow closer and start to fall for each other, blah blah blah.

I can't say I didn't enjoy this drama, I really did. I liked the characters, it was fun and original and some of the more romantic scenes were ... well really romantic. Remember when I said for Buzzer Beat how real kisses shock you because you get so used to barbie kisses? Well, Personal Taste did the same. I actually squee'ed at the first kiss. However, I think this is the only drama I have ever watched that I have fallen asleep mid episode multiple times. Not to say it was boring, I just seemed to fall asleep exactly in the middle whenever I watched an episode past midnight. I didn't think much of the ending either. It was too neat, everyone got a happy ending, even the people who you hated through out the whole series.

Once again, the only Kpop star in this series is from a band I have very little experience of. JinHo's colleague, TaeHoon, is a member of 2AM. i've seen a few of their music videos, but its all a bit ballad-y for me, so I go for their more upbeat counterparts, 2PM. I tend to watch them at 2am because it amuses me.

Next is Secret Garden, a story about a girl and a boy switching bodies. Not exactly original, but I haven't seen it in an Asian drama yet. Lots of girls pretending to be boys *cough*Hana Kimi*cough*Ouran*cough*evenanepisodeofPersonalTaste*cough*, but no girls actually being boys.

You know, I'm starting to think the ranking on dramacrazy is biased towards new rather than 'the best' Asian drama, as series from the last couple of years are far more common than those before, and yet its hard to believe that all the best drama is brand new. It just means I am watching the most popular shows, I think.

<3 x

PS - I put up my canvases today! From my post yesterday, that probably means I should go watch High School Musical or some other sickening attempt at western young romance .... or I may just watch Birdsong.

No comments:

Post a Comment