Monday 28 November 2011

Yankee-kun to Megane-chan

I know, I know. You're thinking, yet again, how has she had time to watch another whole series when she should be super busy with NaNoWriMo? Well, I'm going to do exactly what I did last time with Ikemen Desu Ne, and just ignore the issue. ^^

I'll be honest, this series didn't keep me particularly hooked. I more watched it as light relief between writing and or avoiding doing actual work than I did because I was desperate to see the next episode. This is not to say I didn't enjoy it though. It was amusing and the characters were fun, as well as having enough action to keep it entertaining.

The story focused mainly on high school student Shinagawa, who was constantly targeted and coerced into fights by delinquents, who are known as Yankees, because he cannot be beaten, even though he actually wants to study hard in school to become a doctor. On the first day of school, he meets Hana, a girl with plaits and glasses who acts like a stereotype school girl, but is in fact trying to turn over a new leaf from her Yankee days in middle school, when she was the famed Hurricane Ada. The plot of the series is mostly about Hana trying to make Shinagawa join in with their class mates to enjoy their school lives together, with a little bit of random fighting thrown in here and there to add a bit on tension.

It was a good series, and having just watched the last episode, I was nearly in tears and laughing out loud throughout, so that's always a good sign. I particularly enjoyed the 'this development ...' moments, when Shinagawa was expecting Hana to confess to him when she wasn't. To be honest, Hana was to stupid to realise whether she liked him or not, and Shinagawa was majorly hung up over a girl who had lent him a pen at the entrance exams without even realising it was Hana all along. Basically, they are both stupid. I have to admit though, that whenever Hana went into a fight, I always half expected her to pull out her plaits and take off her glasses Gokusen style, not that she ever did. Also, I constantly got distracted by how Shinagawa actually had the mouth of a cat.
From Google. Hana being Hana, resorting to childish means to get Shinagawa to do what she wants. I wish you could see his cat mouth, but I couldn't find any decent pictures of it.

Shinagawa was in Gokusen and Tokyo Dogs, not that I can recall him in the latter, but that he was in Gokusen means he must be like late 20's and still playing high school students, so that's a little concerning. Hana's best friend and somwhat less reformed Yankee, Rinka, was also in Tokyo Dogs, again I have no idea as who, but was Haruhi in Ouran High School Host Club. Shinagawa's hot best friend was in Tokyo Dogs, Mei-chan no Shitsuji and original Hana Kimi.

Next on my list is 1 Litre of Tears, which is a a drama I have been hearing about for a long time as one that will make the title come true. I think I'm going to have to wait to start this one until NaNo is over and I have finished my short, because if its anything like Koizora, its best if I'm not around people for a while. 
Also, if I remember correctly, along with Nobuta wo Produce, it is SuJu's Heechul's favourite drama ^^ ....oh Heenim, I miss you.
ANYWAY, after this drama I only have one film and one drama until I have made my way through all the japanese dramas on dramacrazy.net's top 50. Then to go back and watch the other Asian ones, including different language versions of most of what I've already watched ... XD

<3 x
Drama: 1 Litre of Tears 1
Manga: Same
NaNoWriMo backlog: 6305 words (catching up! Wrote 5.5k today, hence finishing YankeeMegane treat ^^)

No comments:

Post a Comment