Friday 12 April 2013

Rooftop Prince

So my last drama review post started with a statement that I would now like to retract. I said that it had taken me so long to watch To the Beautiful You that the days of powering through a drama were long gone. I was feeling a little disheartened with the whole Asian drama genre, it was repetitive, lacking in originality and frankly, was boring me. I just wasn't feeling it anymore. Rooftop Prince has changed that.

It's a pretty complicated plot, especially at the beginning and the end, but to try and sum it up, the stroy starts in Joseon, Korea 300 years in the past. The crown princess is discovered poisoned and drowned in the lake, and the crown prince sets out with some trusty friends to discover her killer. Cut to Korea in the 90's, and we meet Pak Ha as she and her father meet her new mother and sister. Pak ha clearly dotes on her new sister Se Na, who just as clearly couldn't give a crap ... to the extent that she locked her sister in the back of a truck and watches as it drives away. Cut to modern day America, and now Pak Ha meets someone who looks suspicioulsy like the crown prince before she gets a call sending her back to Korea because they have finally found her long lost albeit somewhat dead father. Look-a-like Prince gets thrown off a boat in the middle of the sea by jealous cousin Tae Mu. Cut back to Joseon, and team Prince get ambushed, and somehow find themselves in modern day Seoul on the roof top of none other than Pak Ha.

Phew. From there, its basically the Joseon boys getting used to modern day Seoul, Prince getting mistaken for assumed dead Look-a-like Prince, and Tae Mu and Se Na (who is Look-a-like dead Princess) crapping themselves that they will be found out. Obviously Prince and Pak Ha fall in love, but the Prince is so blinded by the thought of Se Na and his murdered princess that he takes a while to realise it. It was a hilarious and heartbreaking series, all rolled into one, and it was amazing.

I even forgot to screengrab, thats how involved I was.

It was something new, something exciting that I haven't seen before, and as such, it not only held my attention but also left me wanting more. Yeah, sure it was a little predictable, you knew that the baddies would get their comeuppence, and the goodies would fall in love, but the way the plot took you there was quite unexpected. It wasn't until quite near the end that I started to suss out what had happened in Joseon, although it didn't make it any less intriguing when I had. Yes it was confusing, especially with different characters with the same face appearing in every era, but it wasn't unmanageably so.
 
It was hilariously funny, especially when Pak Ha, burdened with 4 apparent lunatics, decides the best way to handle them is to steal their Joseon clothes and put them in tracksuits of different colours, or when they can't figure out simple things like rotating doors. The characters were really well done, and as usual, I liked the back ground characters more than the mains. They just have all the fun without getting bogged down in the drama too much. No underdog here though for Pak Ha's attention .... well there was, but he was batted out of the park so quickly he barely got a look in. I do feel sorry for Look-a-like Prince though, having his identity and pretty much everything else stolen by a 300 year old Royal, even if he does, like everyone else,sort of get a happy ending. Well, people in Seoul at any rate. Joseon not so much.

I laughed. I cried. We all know how I judge things on how they make me feel, and its been a long time since I felt involved enough in a drama to cry. I miss it already, and I only finished it a moment before I started writing this post.

Next up is Love Rain, and I'm actually going to watch it this time rather than let it get pushed down my watch list by other dramas climbing the charts unnaturally quickly. Well, unless it's already been beaten out by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment