Wednesday 28 March 2012

City Hunter

FINALLY ... I managed to finish watching the final episode and thus, I get to write this post! Only 3 or 4 days after I had originally intended, but oh well.

I had heard a lot about this series as it was airing over the summer. It's from all the attention that it got during that time that I first heard of Lee Min Ho, long before I actually saw him in anything else, before I had even started watching anything that wasn't Japanese. I see now why it received so much love ... it was awesome.

In the 1980's, a group of politicians decide that a mission is a mistake and orders the death of their own soldiers. One man, Jin Pyo, survives, and swears vengeance on them after promising his dying best friend to look after his wife and baby son. Jin Pyo snatches the young boy, Yoon Sung, and raises him in the Golden Triangle as a successful drugs lord. 28 years later, Yoon Sung returns to Korea to seek his and Jin Pyo's revenge on the politicians by publicly revealing their corrupt dealings, earning him the nickname of City Hunter. He meets Nana, a young woman with her sights set on becoming a presidential bodyguard despite her difficult financial situation, and Young Joo, a prosecutor who is working towards the same goal as the City Hunter while also hunting him out. Jin Pyo, however, has a far more final revenge in mind.





Lee Min Ho's Yoon Sung looking sexy in his City Hunter disguise. It is super effective, no one could tell it was him.


It was nice to watch a drama with hints of romance and comedy, but where the majority of the plot was action packed. Light-hearted and sweet, but also tense, exciting and emotional. So often in Asian drama, there is too much comedy to the point that it becomes overly cheesy, or there will be so much romance that is is too sickly, to the extent that it just becomes a little repetitive and boring. City Hunter, on the other hand, kept me literally on the edge of my seat, and yet I was still cheering for all the little sub plots that have little impact on the whole picture There were some pretty awesome action scenes, and it kept you guessing through out. I for one did not see the twist in the last couple of episodes coming. I was a particular fan of how Yoon Sung used whatever was to hand to fight with, a particular favourite being a water bottle.

The feel of the series was similar to Tokyo Dogs, really, but with more drama. I'm not really sure why, as the plots weren't at all similar, but I guess they are the only action based dramas that I have experienced.

I loved this series, I really did, and I have literally got nothing bad to say about it. Lee Min Ho was amazing as Yoon Sung and I enjoyed seeing such as strong and intelligent female lead in Nana. I laughed, I cried, I gasped. It was awesome.

Next up is Heartstrings. I have never heard of this drama before, and I can't say that I even remember seeing the title in the ranking charts before now. I guess I just saw City Hunter and stopped looking. Another music based drama, it seems to be some sort of cross between Nodame Cantabile, You're Beautiful and Mary Stayed Out All Night, involving an indie band and a classical prodigy in a Musical Academy. The two main characters were also in You're Beautiful as cross-dressing Mi Nam and unloved Shin Woo.

<3 x

No comments:

Post a Comment